telnet always tries 255.255.255.255

Richard Betel emteeoh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 10:50:17 PST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:22:32 +0000, Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:
> Dont alphas use a 32 bit userspace and 64bit kernel ?

I don't think that's true anymore, but it was at first port. OTOH, I
know that LFS has been used on ARM, Sparc and PowerPC. All three
should have the same issues, but this is the first report (that I know
of) on this issue. I am looking forward to going home to try it!

I'm wondering if its a side-effect of the compilers. As I recall, the
ANSI C definition of "int" was something to the effect of "a signed
integer, who's size is whatever is most convenient for the compiler
writer and target architecture".  So its possible that the
Alpha/ARM/Sparc/PowerPC GCC is using a 64bit int, and doing sign
extention properly, whereas the intel/AMD 64bit gcc is still using 32
bit ints and thus screwing up the sign extension... Or something ...