lfs stable 6.0 util linux mount crashes system

h3k h3k h3knix at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 17:21:30 PST 2005

I am using udev, and the same build instructions for util linux that
are in the doc, but if i try to mount a partition that does not exist,
the whole system freezes up.

/dev/sda5 exists so mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/hd succeeds
/dev/sda3 does not exist, when i do mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/hd, the whole
system freezes, X locks and i have to hard reboot in order to get a
useable system.

When i try mounting outside of X on a console, mount would spew random
garble forever, control c would not stop it, control alt delete did
not function... a complete system freeze.

I am using the linux 2.6.10 kernel by the way.

Linux h3knix 2.6.10 #2 SMP Wed Jan 26 09:41:41 MST 2005 i686 pentium4
i386 GNU/Linux

I have tried compiling multiple versions of util-linux, but that did
not help. If anyone needs more info just email me, and i can provide
it.