lfs live-cd w/ serial mouse

shudde dev at null.org
Tue Jan 25 03:06:19 PST 2005

Using the latest live-cd from 'gaosu.rave.org', attempting to get gpm or
mouse-support in X working. Due to the untimely death of my ps/2 mouse
I'm running an old two-button MS serial mouse.

"gpm -m /dev/input/mice" (and yes I'm specifying the correct -t option
although I've tried them all) simply fails to initiate the mouse without
error messages. I looked into creating the /dev/ttyS0 device-file and
since MAKEDEV doesn't exist on the CD, I've been trying with mknod.

I've attempted all of the following:

mknod -m 666 /dev/ttyS0 c 4 64
mknod -m 600 /dev/ttyS0 c 4 64
mknod -m 777 /dev/ttyS0 c 4 64

Along with a lot of minor variations of the above, always get the same
error message telling me that gpm can't open the device, no other error
output is provided. I've tried to chmod & chown the device files to
everything I can think of without success.

I'm probably missing something inherently simple but any help would be
appreciated.