Grub problem

Bluesheet bluesheet at doramail.com
Mon Jan 24 19:50:19 PST 2005

Dear all , thanks for all to discuess my question. ^_^.

Reference to Greg.
if hda1 = /boot and hda2 = /
but in GRUB, hda1 => hd0,0 and hda2 => hd0,1

grub>root (hd0,1) # tells grub where to find menu.lst  <<=it will tell GRUB
the menu.lst will be on partition hda2, but the menu.lst is existed in hda1?
Why. it set to (hd0,1) not (hd0,0)??

grub>kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hda2 <<= it will tell GRUB
to find the kernel in hda2/boot/vmlinuz-xxx and the / is in hda2

But I try it. if...
grub>root (hd0,0) #set the menu.lst location
grub>setup(hd0) # install it into MBR
grub>kernel /vmlinuz-xxx ro root=/dev/hda2 # tell GRUB the kernel is in
hd0,0(hda1) and the / is in hda2
grub>boot
then the system can startup properly, but the GRUB can't show the menu. This
method I reference a GRUB howto. Thanks.