perl and locales

Richard Molton richardmolton at aaug.net
Mon Jan 24 09:48:31 PST 2005

On 24 Jan, Erika Pacholleck <pchllck at nexgo.de> wrote:
> Dear Richard,
> this does not seem to be a locale related issue, but an install
> one. Assuming you booted into your lfs, here my questions.

> 1a. what exactely does `locale` return?

/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such
file or directory.
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such
file or directory.
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file
or directory.

> LANG=[en]_[GB]
> LC_CTYPE="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_NUMERIC="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_TIME="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_COLLATE="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_MONETARY="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_MESSAGES="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_PAPER="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_NAME="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_ADDRESS="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_TELEPHONE="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="[en]_[GB]"
> LC_ALL=[en]_[GB]

> 1b. what exactely does `perl -v` return?

perl:warning:Setting locale failed
perl:warning:Please check your locale settings:
         LANGUAGE=(unset)
         LC_ALL=[en]_[GB]
         LANG=[en]_[GB]
perl:warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")

> 2a. what does `ls /usr/bin/locale` return?

/usr/bin/locale

> 2b. what does `ls /usr/bin/perl` return?

/usr/bin/perl

>     if they are present
> 3a. does then `/usr/bin/locale` return any different output?

same

> 3b. does then `/usr/bin/perl -v` return any different output?

same

> 4.  what does `echo $PATH` return?

(run as root)
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin: