Grub problem

Bluesheet bluesheet at doramail.com
Sun Jan 23 18:52:52 PST 2005

Dear all,
I have a question about GRUB.
I found a funny problem with GRUB.
when I install linux and make a 100MB partition for "/boot(/dev/hda1)", when
the system install GRUB, it will ask me for the location of GRUB. Mostly it
have two location, "/dev/hda(MBR)" and "/dev/hda1".The problem is to choose
which location is correct?
when I choose to install in "/dev/hda(MBR)", after that, the system will
startup without errors, and when I use "mount" to show the mount point of
the system, the system didn't mount "/dev/hda1(/boot)", and the /etc/fstab
will not have "/dev/hda1(/boot)" information on it; and the /boot will
existed inside the "/", so the partition "/dev/hda1" will empty and didn't
use for the system.
But when I change the location to "/boot(/dev/hda1)" the system will have a
grub problem when the grub start, it didn't show the GRUB menu, it only run
the grub command line, when I type...
grub>root (hd0,0)
grub>kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda2
grub>boot
the system will startup, after the system start, I use "mount" to show the
mount point of the system, it will exists "/dev/hda1(/boot)" and the
"/dev/hda1" will correctly mount into the system, but the main problem is
the GRUB didn't show the menu? the /grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab are
correct, why?
Is I missing sth when I install GRUB?

Here I make a summary of my question
Making 100MB partition for /boot and install GRUB.
Grub install in "/dev/hda(MBR)", the system didn't mount and use
/dev/hda1(/boot), it's empty, the system will make a new /boot partition
inside "/".
Grub install in "/dev/hda1(/boot)", the system didn't load the GRUB menu, it
must to use command mode to startup the system, and "/dev/hda1(/boot)" it
will used by the system.

Thanks. Please give me some suggestions. ^_^