Knoppix 3.X issue

Peter Karlsson petekarl at student.chalmers.se
Thu Jan 20 21:09:52 PST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Erich S wrote:

> It is empty. that's the problem. my kernel won't boot.
> it comes up with a kernel panic saying it can't find
> the root device. :)

Is it the kernel or grub complaining? It sounds like it's grub. What does
your partition table look like? Remember that grub starts counting at
zero, i.e. if you have the root partition on hda2 the proper grub lines
would be:

title blablabla
root (hd0,1)
kernel /relative_path_from_bootpartition[0]/name_of_kernel root=/dev/hda2

Grub vs linux table:

hd0,0	hda1 (i.e. the first 0=a the second 0=1)
hd0,1	hda2 (1=2)
hd1,0	hdb1 (1=b, etc.)

Did you follow the udev chapter to the letter[1]? Do you have
proper kernel support[2]?

Best regards

Peter K

[0]: If you have the boot partition on hda1 (grub hd0,0) and the kernel on
the toplevel (not in any directory) this is '/name_of_kernel
root=/dev/... other bootparameters'.
[1]: You must have proper udev rules.
[2]: CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y, DEVFS_FS=n or at least DEVFS_MOUNT=n,
CONFIG_SYSFS=y (from what I can remember).

--
We Can Put an End to Word Attachments:
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html