newbie problem with perl and locales

Richard Molton richardmolton at aaug.net
Thu Jan 20 17:02:55 PST 2005

Hi all.
I have worked through LFS 6, 20040912, using a straightforward
Athlon based PC. I've also got startx working, and made a start on
Gnome 2.8
I have hit a snag with a package (libbonobo, I think it was) which
requires perl. I had thought perl5.8.5 was OK, but apparently not.
I get error messages saying that LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES AND LC_ALL
cannot be set to default locale:no such file or directory.
I get the same messages if I enter the command 'locale' and also if
I enter 'perl -v'
No doubt the fault is entirely mine but I don't know where to look.
I cannot see anything on the FAQ lists.
Could anyone be kind enough to tell me what to do? Even RTFM would
help if you point to the relevant page!

TIA
Richard