[HELP] lfs 6.0 mkfs can't find device

Tobias Gasser tg at ebp-gasser.ch
Mon Jan 17 03:50:36 PST 2005

> -bash-3.00# mkfs /dev/hdd1
> mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> mkfs.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to determine hardware
> sector size
> -bash-3.00#
>
> I have checked the /proc/ide/, /sys/block/, and /dev/, the device seems
> detected by the system coz the file folder ide1, hdd, and hdd are in the
> corresponding place.  I also try to add a 2nd harddisk in ide0 and i can do
> the mkfs to the new harddisk.  So, is it the problem with the udev and the
> CF device?
jep!

udev doesn't get notified after fdisk has added or deleted partitions.
just let 'udevstart' gather the new partitions you created. i noticed
this behaviour even on hda when adding a new partition!

maybe ejecting the cf and reinserting will help as hotplug should
trigger udev to re-read the cf-card partition table.

tobias