/dev is empty....causes kernel panic

Erich S eschnapps at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 16:36:50 PST 2005

--- Erich S <eschnapps at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jeremy Utley <jeremy at jutley.org> wrote:
>
> > Erich S wrote:
> >
> > >This did not happen during the process of the
> > build. I
> > >looked at the /dev directory and found it was
> > >completely empty, including the devices for the
> > >console that were created during the LFS build. I
> > can
> > >only think that this is caused by udev somehow,
> but
> > >I’m not sure why udev would delete existing /dev
> > >files. From what I’ve read it’s not supposed to.
> > >

> > Udev creates it's device nodes into a tmpfs -
> > remember at the beginnng
> > of Chapter 6, you mounted a tmpfs filesystem to
> > /dev? Because you
> > rebooted, that filesystem is no longer mounted.
> So,
> > to get your devices
> > back, you need to perform the appropriate steps in
> > chapter 6 again
> > (Mounting /proc, mounting /sys, mounting /dev,
> > running udevstart,
> > mounting /dev/pts.
> >
> > -J-
> > --

> I can see where you're comming from....kinda :)  I
> do
> remember mounting those file systems in the chapter.
> One problem though. The boot process is failing when
> it tries to start mounting the root filesystem. I'll
> try mounting those again and reboot, but I'm not
> sure
> how this is going to solve the problem, since the
> root
> partition is being mounted before the temporary
> partitions and before udev is even started.
>
> I'm not sure how to easily get a screenshot of where
> it fails to you, so bear with me while I start it up
> and start copying the screen by hand... :)
>
> Erich

OK.... Kernel panic snippette, everything looks good
until....:

ipt_recent v0.3.1: Stephen Frost <snip email addys>
arp_tables: (C) 2002 David S. Miller
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
VFS: Cannot open device "hda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

now then this is my grub setup:
# Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst

# By default boot the first menu entry.
default 0

# Allow 30 seconds before booting the default.
timeout 30

# Use prettier colors.
color green/black light-green/black

# The first entry. LFS
title LFS 6.0
root (hd0,0)
kernel /lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda2

this is my partition layout
partition 1:
mounts as /boot ext3 active
partition 2: