Not able to boot after compilation

Your Name lfs at fluidwebcreations.com
Sun Jan 16 13:02:27 PST 2005

> On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 17:43 -0500, Richard Betel wrote:
> > > Well...I'm lost.  I can maybe take a stab in the dark...  Try adding
> > > init=/bin/bash to the end of the kernel line and see if that gets you
> > > into your lfs root partiton.
> > >

> > I'm wondering if its in the linux kernel build options... maybe the
> > system is set up such that /dev/hda doesn't exist with the new kernel
> > and he should be mounting /dev/discs/disk0/part5 or somesuch?
>
> Actually, yeah. Good call Richard!  Syncing should have registered as a
> disk problem but didn't today with me.
>
> You don't by chance have an addin IDE controller, like for disks over
> 137GB do you?  I think the Promise controllers are the most common now
> days shipping with Western Digital drives, and mail freebie in for
> Maxtor drives IIRC.

Well, the eqiupment is fairly recent, about a year old if I am correct.
 The primary IDE chain has two disks, one ~40GB Maxtor system disk and
one ~160GB Hitachi data disk (the data disk is not partitioned nor
formatted just in case it would have caused a problem.)  The secondary
IDE chain has a DVD ROM and a CDRW.

There is no add in BIOS card for disk translation as the motherboard
BIOS supports large disks on it's own, however, there is a Silicon Image
Sil3114 SATA controller that the kernel sees and initializes properly
under FC3. It appears to be correctly addressed about 10 log lines prior
to the kernel complaining about the initial console (can be happily
detached if need be.)

> -- DJ Lucas
>
> --

DJ