Building LFS book 6.0 on Alpha

Richard Betel emteeoh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 15:38:27 PST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 04:13:37 -0600, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 22:00 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Richard Betel wrote:
> >

> > > Any pointers on how to look at the gentoo ebuilds? I'm not a regular
> > > user of their distribution, and honestly have no idea where to start
> > > looking.
> > >

> > I stumbled onto the following some while ago when I was researching
> > various blfs issues, it seems to have all of the stuff there although
> > deciding which directory to look in is not always obvious (for binutils,
> > it's sys-devel).
> >
> >  http://ftp.belnet.be/linux/gentoo-portage/
>
> When I want to review how gentoo does something, I generally put the
> package-version.ebuild into google (ex: "binutils-2.15.ebuild").  Use an
> older stable version number to find the newer packages that may have a
> date or release number...it'll get you to the correct directory.  When I
> find the ebuild, which contains their instructions, I go one dir higher,
> and then to files/version to get to the relavent patches.
> (ex: ../files/2.15/) ebuilds are usually self explanatory, but the
> binutils one doesn't really contain anything usefull...rather I should
> say I don't see/understand anything useful, and would just resort to
> reading the patches if necessary...though usually I'm looking at
> packages beyond the core devel stuff which do contain full build
> commands.
>
> -- DJ Lucas
>
> --

I'm working my way slowly through this... What does the following line
mean the ebuild file?
KEYWORDS="-* ~alpha ~amd64 -arm ~hppa ~ia64 ~sparc ~x86"

-* would seem to indicate either include all, or exclude all. ~
usually means "not" but this would mean that its not almost every
processor gentoo supports!