Not able to boot after compilation

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 15 14:48:31 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 17:43 -0500, Richard Betel wrote:
> > Well...I'm lost.  I can maybe take a stab in the dark...  Try adding
> > init=/bin/bash to the end of the kernel line and see if that gets you
> > into your lfs root partiton.
> >

> I'm wondering if its in the linux kernel build options... maybe the
> system is set up such that /dev/hda doesn't exist with the new kernel
> and he should be mounting /dev/discs/disk0/part5 or somesuch?

Actually, yeah. Good call Richard!  Syncing should have registered as a
disk problem but didn't today with me.

You don't by chance have an addin IDE controller, like for disks over
137GB do you?  I think the Promise controllers are the most common now
days shipping with Western Digital drives, and mail freebie in for
Maxtor drives IIRC.

-- DJ Lucas