Building LFS book 6.0 on Alpha

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 15 02:13:37 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 22:00 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Richard Betel wrote:
>

> > Any pointers on how to look at the gentoo ebuilds? I'm not a regular
> > user of their distribution, and honestly have no idea where to start
> > looking.
> >

> I stumbled onto the following some while ago when I was researching
> various blfs issues, it seems to have all of the stuff there although
> deciding which directory to look in is not always obvious (for binutils,
> it's sys-devel).
>
>  http://ftp.belnet.be/linux/gentoo-portage/

When I want to review how gentoo does something, I generally put the
package-version.ebuild into google (ex: "binutils-2.15.ebuild").  Use an
older stable version number to find the newer packages that may have a
date or release number...it'll get you to the correct directory.  When I
find the ebuild, which contains their instructions, I go one dir higher,
and then to files/version to get to the relavent patches.
(ex: ../files/2.15/) ebuilds are usually self explanatory, but the
binutils one doesn't really contain anything usefull...rather I should
say I don't see/understand anything useful, and would just resort to
reading the patches if necessary...though usually I'm looking at
packages beyond the core devel stuff which do contain full build
commands.

-- DJ Lucas