Problem mounting Windows. iso-8859-1 not found.

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Jan 14 15:35:38 PST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 rhubarbpie at poetworld.net wrote:

> I'm successfully booting into LFS 6.0 but cannot mount Windows.  I
> receive the errors:
>
> FAT: IO charset iso8859-1 not found
>
> mount: wrong fs type,bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too
> many mounted file systems
>
> I regularly mount Windows with my Mandrake distribution and have made
> the entry in /etc/fstab.  I've also compiled FAT and VFAT into the
> kernel.  I'm also attempted building both as modules without success.

 It's a change in recent 2.6 kernels, possibly at 2.6.9, so I guess you
are running an older kernel on mdk.

 In menuconfig, File Systems -> Native Language Support (down at the
bottom of the filesystems options).  In my case, the io charset
defaulted to cp437, and I ended up building this as a module to match
how I build FAT and VFAT.

Ken