Building LFS book 6.0 on Alpha

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Jan 14 14:00:16 PST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Richard Betel wrote:

> Any pointers on how to look at the gentoo ebuilds? I'm not a regular
> user of their distribution, and honestly have no idea where to start
> looking.

I stumbled onto the following some while ago when I was researching
various blfs issues, it seems to have all of the stuff there although
deciding which directory to look in is not always obvious (for binutils,
it's sys-devel).

 http://ftp.belnet.be/linux/gentoo-portage/

The canonical site is probably http://www.gentoo-portage.com, but I find
that hard to use in firefox - with the belgian mirror I can usually find
any patches reasonably easily.  (Whether the patches are useful to me is
a different matter, but it's always good to review what others have done
when we hit problems).

I assume there are other mirrors available, but I haven't mastered how
to find them.

No doubt other multi-arch distros could also have insights to offer -
debian springs to mind, but I'm not sure how to find their unstable
sources and stable will normally be somewhat old.

Ken