/dev is empty....causes kernel panic

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 14 12:59:02 PST 2005

Erich S wrote:
> When I reboot the system for the first time to get into my LFS, the kernel panics
> saying it can't get to the root file system.

A copy and pasted error message would be most useful here!  Anyway, what
filesystem is your root LFS partition (ext2, ext3)?  When you compiled
your kernel did you select support for that filesystem to be compiled as
a module or built-in? (your .config or a snippet thereof could be
useful).  Your root filesystem support should be compiled in, not built
as a module, unless you want to play around with initrd's and the like.

Regards,

Matt.