/dev is empty....causes kernel panic

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Jan 14 12:54:09 PST 2005

Erich S wrote:

>This did not happen during the process of the build. I
>looked at the /dev directory and found it was
>completely empty, including the devices for the
>console that were created during the LFS build. I can
>only think that this is caused by udev somehow, but
>I’m not sure why udev would delete existing /dev
>files. From what I’ve read it’s not supposed to.

Udev creates it's device nodes into a tmpfs - remember at the beginnng
of Chapter 6, you mounted a tmpfs filesystem to /dev? Because you
rebooted, that filesystem is no longer mounted. So, to get your devices
back, you need to perform the appropriate steps in chapter 6 again
(Mounting /proc, mounting /sys, mounting /dev, running udevstart,
mounting /dev/pts.

-J-