LFS 6.0 kernel 2.6.8.1 -> 2.6.10 ?

dennis w32 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 10:08:17 PST 2005

> it *can* be rebuilt, but does not *have* to be rebuilt. The kernel
> maintainers (generally) are careful to maintain the ABI in major kernel
> versions so newer kernel versions will be backwards compatible with
> applications compiled against older headers.
>
> However, as you've pointed out, if you wish to use the new features, then
> yes, a recompile of glibc (at least) is required.
>
> -- -
> Steve Crosby

I was under the impression that binutils, glibc, and gcc should never be
updated, presumably because most everything depends upon the old
versions. I got this impression - two years ago - from a blfs-support
thread which I can no longer find. I've since noticed that one can build
alternative versions of gcc alongside the existing one, (e.g.,
/opt/gcc-2.95.3).

Anyway, who can set me straight? Are there packages one must not update
for fear of breaking everything?

-Dennis.