LFS 6.0 kernel 2.6.8.1 -> 2.6.10 ?

Steve Crosby fost at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 23:15:21 PST 2005

Peter Karlsson <petekarl at student.chalmers.se> wrote in
news:Pine.GSO.4.58.0501140004450.12617 at bilbo.dd.chalmers.se:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Steve Crosby wrote:
>
>> no - the linux-libc-headers are (as the name suggests) headers for
>> use by libc (and other apps) not the kernel. When a new package is
>> built that references the linux-libc-headers, it must use the same
>> version as that used to build libc, so the ABI stays the same.
>
> Hmmm... I thought that glibc should always be rebuilt whenever you
> install a new kernel. This is how gentoo does it; whenever a new
> kernel is installed one emerges (compiles & installs) glibc, to be
> able to use new functions that the new kernel support. I don't know if
> it's the "correct" way though.

it *can* be rebuilt, but does not *have* to be rebuilt. The kernel
maintainers (generally) are careful to maintain the ABI in major kernel
versions so newer kernel versions will be backwards compatible with
applications compiled against older headers.

However, as you've pointed out, if you wish to use the new features, then
yes, a recompile of glibc (at least) is required.

-- -
Steve Crosby