2.6.8.1 Kernel Option

Richard Betel emteeoh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:18:39 PST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 04:07:33 +0000, Jeremy Shivers
<shivers53 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> If I build this selection into the kernel and rebuild it, can I find out
> EXACTLY what options in the kernel are being used? Also, does this give me
> the ability to know pretty much everything about my hardware that is
> supported by linux?

I don't think so. I understood this to be a way to see which options
were set at kernel build time.

What you really want to do is basically 2 things:
1) Learn how to boot different vmlinux files from one partition (aka
learn how to configure grub
2) experiment with turning OFF various options until features break.
In some places in the config, it should be obvious. For example, only
build the ethernet drivers you need. The best way to figure out what
ethernet drivers you need, in my experience, is to dive into
/proc/pci. It tells you what it sees, and the info tends to be by
chipset, not the marketing department's name for the card. /proc/pci
will probably tell you what sound card etc you have. another good
place to look is the output of dmesg. It will show the output of
drivers as they initialised, which gives you a good idea of what
drivers are actually loading up.

the help screens that you get when doing a "make menuconfig" in the
kernel are actually pretty good, which surprises me to no end.