2.6.8.1 Kernel Option

Jeremy Shivers shivers53 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:07:33 PST 2005

Initially when first configuring the kernel to build LFS 6 I just copied the
.config file from my Fedora Core 3 distribution. However, I don't really
know that much about what hardware I have in my computer and would like to
get away from the host distribution. I really want to build a monolithic
kernel that is optimized for my one computer. I was looking through the
options during the kernel configuration and in 'General Setup' I noticed
'Kernel .config' support. The help text says "It provides documentation of
which kernel options are used in a running kernel or in an on-disk kernel."
If I build this selection into the kernel and rebuild it, can I find out
EXACTLY what options in the kernel are being used? Also, does this give me
the ability to know pretty much everything about my hardware that is
supported by linux? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Jeremy