Kernel Change Questions.

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Wed Jan 12 12:26:23 PST 2005

R Vijay wrote:

>I am trying to change my Linux Kernel as presently I have only kernel 2.4 and have the following questions:
>1. Why is there no md5sum for the tarball at kernel.org ?
>
>I am trying to use the following page for the task:
>file://localhost/home/vijay/KernelCompile.html
>
>What does the following command achieve ? I know mv is the move command. However, after I gave this command nothing seems to have happened:
>/usr/src/# mv linux linux-VERSION && ln -s linux-VERSION linux

It moves whatever is pointed to by the (deprecated) /usr/src/linux
symlink to linux-VERSION and then points the symlink to the new
location. You're probably supposed to fill in VERSION with your old
kernel version number.

>Finally I tried to find the .config file and failed. Is this file in the linux direc. or the linux- Version direc. ? From which direc. do I issue the 'make mrproper' command ?
>
>I couldn't get to the .config file. Would still appreciate assistancce/answers to all my previous question.
>
>I decided to proceed further and gave the make mrpproper command. After that I tried the config command and had several errors. Here are the results:
>/usr/include/bits/socket.h:305
>asm/socket.h No such file or direct
>make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
>make: *** [scripts_basic]
>Error 2

You should be in the /usr/src/linux-<version> directory for the kernel
version you are trying to compile. .config should be created by a make
xxxconfig command. I prefer make menuconfig myself. Be sure to choose to
save configuration as .config . . (dot) files are hidden in linux, ls -a
make mrproper will delete any existing .config file.
Not sure about the asm/socket.h error,

Regards,
Kevin