Kernel Change Questions.

R Vijay spamtrap2 at noemail.com
Wed Jan 12 11:37:25 PST 2005

I am trying to change my Linux Kernel as presently I have only kernel 2.4 and have the following questions:
1. Why is there no md5sum for the tarball at kernel.org ?

I am trying to use the following page for the task:
file://localhost/home/vijay/KernelCompile.html

What does the following command achieve ? I know mv is the move command. However, after I gave this command nothing seems to have happened:
/usr/src/# mv linux linux-VERSION && ln -s linux-VERSION linux

Finally I tried to find the .config file and failed. Is this file in the linux direc. or the linux- Version direc. ? From which direc. do I issue the 'make mrproper' command ?

I couldn't get to the .config file. Would still appreciate assistancce/answers to all my previous question.

I decided to proceed further and gave the make mrpproper command. After that I tried the config command and had several errors. Here are the results:
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:305
asm/socket.h No such file or direct
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts_basic]
Error 2

I tried all the make XXXconfig commands and still get the same results.

Please Assist.

Thanks.

Vijay