can't find /dev/hda* when booting

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Wed Jan 12 00:43:11 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 06:36:35PM +1300, Salman Javed wrote:
> Hi, I've just done a LFS 6.0 stable installation. There were no apparent
> errors. However, when I reboot and start the LFS system, it doesn't find my
> swap and home partitions!
>
> swapon: cannot stat /dev/hda2 : no such file or directory
> mount: special device /dev/hda3 does not exist

Do you see the message about udev creating devices at boot? In LFS-6.0
the /dev is mounted on ramfs, as result all the devices you create with
mknod disappear. udev is supposed to create all devices anew. Read more
carefully section 7.4 in the book. Also check the archives of this list.
There was a lot of discussion about possible problems with udev.

Andrei