LFS 6.0 Chapter 5-GCC 3.4.1 Compilation error

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 09:16:29 PST 2005

Max Hegele wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I finally succeeded!
> I think I just found out what the problem was: as I mentioned it seemed
> that gcc wanted to build 32bit libraries, and I think this was right. I
> used the flag --disable-multilib with configure, and the compilation
> succeeded!
>
> Can anyone tell me if this will cause problems later on or don't I need
> these libraries, which are build by default for several targets
> according to the installation guide for gcc.

No, it will not cause you any problems later on, provided you just need
a 64 bit system.  In fact you must have this if you are just building
64 bit,  I was going to build 32 bit glibc later, but have never
needed it.

The alternative is to follow Ryan's scripts

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ryan/scripts/cross-lfs/

You would then build both 32 bit and 64 bit libraries.