Cannot find eth0

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 8 12:53:00 PST 2005

Jeremy Shivers wrote:
> I finished building LFS 6 and then proceeded to reboot. Everything
> loaded fine except my network card. I get this error when the kernel boots:
>
> Interface eth0 doesn't exist [WARN]
>
> I have followed the LFS instructions to a T. I know for sure my network
> card is: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] with device driver:
> 3c59x
>
> I used the .config from the host distribution (Fedora Core 3: which
> loads the device fine) to build the kernel for LFS6 and I know the
> device was compiled as a module.
>
> /etc/modprobe.conf looks like:
> alias eth0 3c59x
>
> What am I missing? Is there some checklist I can follow to see if I
> missed anything? Any help is appreciated.

I have always followed the very sound advice of many of the LFS
developers and knowledgeable users who will tell you to simply
compile your network driver into the kernel. It'll work perfectly.

Unless of course, it's important that you be able to unload this
network driver module occasionally. I have never found a reason
to do this, however.

--
Randy