Re-entering with chroot question

Jon jongrosshart at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 8 05:41:18 PST 2005

Matthias B. wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:50:30 -0500 Jon <jongrosshart at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>However, when I issue the mount command, I get this:
>
> [snip]
>
>>This makes no sense to me.
>

> mount gets its information from /etc/mtab. When you do some mounts inside
> and some mounts outside of chroot, it is almost inevitable that /etc/mtab
> gets screwed up (because the mounts done outside of chroot don't appear in
> the /etc/mtab from inside chroot and vice versa). One way to fix this is
> to copy /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab after entering chroot.
>
> MSB

Thanks for the reply Matthias. As a last question, do you, or anyone
else, see any problems/redundancies with the commands I use before I
start to build again. Mainly, I'm just curious about that. Is this what
everyone else does when starting up again? The book is written well and
has come along way in the past couple versions, but I think it could
still use a little more clarification on this process. It's not quite as
cut and dry as I would like it to be. You have to sift through several
sections and come up with your own " 6.3.5 Re-Entering the Chroot
Environment". A page like that might be nice for those of us who tend to
  get confused.... :-) Thanks again..

Jon