Questions regarding the final stages of LFS install

John smartcat99s at cox.net
Fri Jan 7 14:28:40 PST 2005

Basically I have my menu.lst for grub set to:

> title        LFS-6.0
> root        (hd0,3)
> kernel     /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda4
> boot
>
> it goes through the initial steps of booting, but then when it comes
> time for VFS to mount the root fs it fails saying: "Kernel Panic: VFS
> cannot mount root fs unknown on (3,4)" or something to that extent. If I
> try booting up with just kernel  /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 and no
> "root=/dev/hda4" it fails similarly saying that I must specify a valid
> "root=" option.

1. Your problem is solved in the FAQ.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#unable-to-mount-root

Try:
[start lfs section]
title LFS-6.0
root (hd0,3)
kernel (hd0,3)/boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda4
[end lfs section]

you don't need the boot line, and your "cannot mount root FS" is due to
that you had ext3 built as a _module_ not _built in_ to the kernel,
which you fixed as described below.

> At first I thought the whole root= problem was something to do with the
> fact that my lfs partition is ext3 and I had ext2 built into the kernel,
> and ext3 as a module...but then I fixed this so both ext2 & ext3 were
> built in.

Toss the initrd file, since you have ext3 built in.

--John
P.S.
Please read this:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/#netiquette
People on the lists do not appreciate HTML mail.
It can carry viruses, plain text can not.