LFS6 Kernel Warnings and Errors

Jeremy Shivers shivers53 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 10:43:03 PST 2005

I just finished building LFS6.0 and I am getting some warnings and errors
when the kernel boots and I was wondering if anybody could explain what they
mean and/or how to fix them.

I built LFS from Fedora Core 3 (2.6.9-1.667) with my partitions set up like
this:

Device        Blocks       Id    System            Mount
/dev/hda1     104,391      83    Linux             /boot
/dev/hda2     12,289,725   83    Linux             /storage
/dev/hda3     3,582,495    83    Linux             /
/dev/hda4     3,574,462+   5     Extended
/dev/hda5     393,561      82    Linux swap
/dev/hda6     3,180,838+   83    Linux             /lfs

All the partitions are clean and are correctly mounted by Fedora.
(Also to note, I manually created /dev/hda6 using mke2fs -m0 option to
specify 0% for superuser cause i wanted to squeeze all the space I could out
of the partition)

LFS built all the way through and now I get these messages when the kernel
boots:

EXT2-fs warning (device hda6) : ext2_fill_super mounting ext3 filesystem as
ext2
fsck.ext3 : Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) (/lfs)
e2fsck : Get a newer version of e2fsck!
Filesystem errors were encountered that couldn't be fixed automatically. The
system will be halted.
Wait for system administrator...blah..blah..blah

Does this last error refer to the faq/netiquette question "The system shuts
down when fsck errors out!" If so, what is the recommended change to the
boot scripts the faq suggests or perhaps by possibly using "init=/bin/bash"
as a kernel parameter? Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
    Jeremy