About the included CD

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Thu Jan 6 12:34:45 PST 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 19:17, roger21 wrote:
> ok i found it in the packages section
> but since there are 3 differents ones (Jeremy Utley, Chris Lingard &
> Jeremy Huntwork) I've got few more questions: is there a cd which a
> should prefer?

It's much of a muchness to the different CD's. They do include slightly
different packages, last I checked. Chris' CD has developed with LFS over
quite some time. It's also included a basic X system and a few other useful,
non-LFS tools. Jeremy Utley's, As I understand it, was an expansion on
Chris's CD with some newer versions of tools, and slightly different
selection. Jeremy Huntwork's, it seems, is the official LFS boot CD meant to
be included in the printed version of the book. Though I have not checked
lately.

> isn't there an official one? does any livecd distribution
> (as knoppix) can do the same?

Other liveCD's such as Knoppix and others may provide enough tools to do the
same. I believe Knoppix, in particular is sufficient for most recent LFS
builds. Others may also contain all the tools needed, but YMMV.

If you can afford to download any CD image, I'd go with any of the LFS
BootCD's from the site. I've used Chris's many times, but the other two
should be just as good.

If you can't fetch or burn CD images, but have access to Knoppix or other
liveCDs, try for Knoppix first, or ask is someone can post an LFS bootCD to
you.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Cheers,

	John Gay