problems with iproute in lfs 6.0

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 6 12:03:39 PST 2005

Matthias B. wrote:

> No it wouldn't. The network scripts are just needlessly complicated. I
> would reduce them to something like the following (untested, only relevant
> parts shown):
>
> One network config file with following syntax:
[snip config]
> One script called "interfaces" like this:
[snip config]
> One script called "hostname" with obvious contents.
> One script called "routing" like this:
[snip config]

> Simple, easy to understand, easy to extend. This is KISS. This should be
> in LFS.
> LFS is not a distro. LFS needs to show people how to write their own boot
> scripts. It's NOT LFS's job to provide a FRAMEWORK for doing network
> initialization.

I wholeheartedly agree. Of course, this is just an opinion, and could
be different than everyone else's. However, in most of my LFS installs
(other than one that is kept completely LFS compliant for testing the
BLFS book), my network initialization is almost a carbon copy of what
is outlined above. And this includes installations where one NIC is
assigned a static IP address and one is assigned using DHCP via an ISP.

--
Randy