hostap

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 5 10:18:18 PST 2005

Schafer Frank wrote:
> I know, WiFi is'nt an issue in LFS. I've choosen LFS because I wanted a REALLY
> minimal system running from an USB disk on a Via mini board.

Just to clarify things from at least my point of view.  With the udev
stuff in LFS we should be able to guarantee (at minimum) that the /dev
entry you require will either be created at boot-time or device
insertion time (in the case of hot-swappable components) if udev is
configured correctly.  Whether this happens with Wifi cards with a
by-the-book LFS installation I couldn't possibly say, but it should be
possible to get an entry into /etc/udev/rules.d/ and
/etc/udev/permissions.d/ to cause the /dev entry to appear.

Coupled with the correctly selected driver from the kernel config and
any required user-land tools you should be good to go.

Alexanders claims that "wireless cards are not supported by LFS at all"
could be construed as "you won't get wireless cards to work with an LFS
system" which I don't think is correct (but feel free to correct me if
I'm way off base here).  That's certainly the way I read it, initially
at least.

Regards,

Matt.