problems with iproute in lfs 6.0

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Wed Jan 5 07:18:24 PST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
>> The original poster figured this out at the same time I was saw this
>> same ability in the scripts, and was going to help him implement
>> it....so the original problem is resolved.  I'm just placing this in
>> the archives in case it ever comes up again!
>

> Good, I'm glad you got to this before I did!
>
> Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be harsh with my original
> response. To my mind, the existing "configuring network script" page
> in the book really does have enough information on it to lead you in
> the right direction to figure out how to do this... but maybe I'm
> assuming too much :-)

Well, the text that was in the book was still a little outdated - didn't
take into account that ifconfig.eth0 is now a directory rather than a
file.  Hopefully with the text changes I committed to testing today (
rev 4492 ) things will be a little more clear.  If any one has
suggestions on better wording, PLEASE step forward!

> I know there were lots of discussions related to this on -dev (and
> maybe -hackers) when the directory-based network configuration went
> into the book, but maybe none of that is really easily searchable.
>
> In any case, Jeremy's post above is right on target: the directory for
> each network interface can have as many "services" as you want,
> including multiple references to the same service (as long as the
> supplied parameters are different, obviously). You can add multiple
> addresses using "ipv4-static" multiple times, multiple routes using
> "ipv4-static-route", etc. On my systems I have even added service
> scripts for creating VLAN interfaces and setting up NIC bonding, and
> it all works quite well.

Both myself and the original poster ended up having to dig pretty deep
into the network configuration scripts, in effect tracing the actions
they take.  I don't know how many of us actually go that deep into them
(I know I'd never really dug into them that deeply before now), but for
someone who isn't really familiar with shell scripting, they might be
kind of difficult to follow.

At any rate, the problem is resolved, the information is now in the
archives, and now back to your regularly scheduled LFSing!

-J-