problems with iproute in lfs 6.0

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 5 07:03:58 PST 2005

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> The original poster figured this out at the same time I was saw this
> same ability in the scripts, and was going to help him implement
> it....so the original problem is resolved.  I'm just placing this in the
> archives in case it ever comes up again!

Good, I'm glad you got to this before I did!

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be harsh with my original response.
To my mind, the existing "configuring network script" page in the book
really does have enough information on it to lead you in the right
direction to figure out how to do this... but maybe I'm assuming too
much :-)

I know there were lots of discussions related to this on -dev (and maybe
-hackers) when the directory-based network configuration went into the
book, but maybe none of that is really easily searchable.

In any case, Jeremy's post above is right on target: the directory for
each network interface can have as many "services" as you want,
including multiple references to the same service (as long as the
supplied parameters are different, obviously). You can add multiple
addresses using "ipv4-static" multiple times, multiple routes using
"ipv4-static-route", etc. On my systems I have even added service
scripts for creating VLAN interfaces and setting up NIC bonding, and it
all works quite well.