problems with iproute in lfs 6.0->bootscripts

J. Greenlees jaqui at telus.net
Wed Jan 5 06:53:09 PST 2005

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> Stephan wrote:
>>
>>> the book says in configuring the network scripts:
>>> This directory should contain files in the form of ifconfig.xyz,
>>> where “xyz”
>>> is a network interface name (such as eth0 or eth0:1).
>>

>> That is an error in the book; interface aliases are no longer
>> supported by the tools included in LFS. Please enter a bug in the LFS
>> Bugzilla to get this corrected.
>

> Not sure how this was missed prior to the LFS 6 edits...but yeah, it
> definately needs to get fixed.
>

>>> but if i want to use eth0:1 it doesnt work at all, because ip cant
>>> find that
>>> interface. i dont know if that "bug" is known but how can i change the
>>> ifup/ifdown-scripts to keep track of a second ip-address for an
>>> interface?
>>

>> You do not need to change those scripts, you need to read them and
>> learn how they work. Adding additional IPV4 addresses to an interface
>> is very easy to do with these scripts, and an LFS builder should be
>> able to read and understand the scripts involved (it is, after all,
>> "from scratch", not "from helpers" <G>).
>

> Not so sure about this Kevin - not everyone is a bash scripting expert,
> and there's some pretty nasty script-fu in there.  I took a look (since
> I was attempting to help this person on IRC), and *I* didn't exactly see
> an easy way to configure this - but I must admit, I didn't look real
> closely.  I figured someone on list who was more familiar with the new
> bootscript structure could easily answer this question, since it's not
> exactly a FAQ or anything.
>
> -J-

I'm thinking that Nathan might be the person who can deal with the
bootcript issue.

if it is bootscripts, as called by initscripts then it could be related
to bug 1009 in the bugzilla. ( I reported it in reference to an
initscript issue from Dec.

Jaqui

only plain text format email accepted.

smaller file size, no virus transfer