problems with iproute in lfs 6.0

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Wed Jan 5 06:42:01 PST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Stephan wrote:
>
>> the book says in configuring the network scripts:
>> This directory should contain files in the form of ifconfig.xyz,
>> where “xyz”
>> is a network interface name (such as eth0 or eth0:1).
>

> That is an error in the book; interface aliases are no longer
> supported by the tools included in LFS. Please enter a bug in the LFS
> Bugzilla to get this corrected.

Not sure how this was missed prior to the LFS 6 edits...but yeah, it
definately needs to get fixed.

>> but if i want to use eth0:1 it doesnt work at all, because ip cant
>> find that
>> interface. i dont know if that "bug" is known but how can i change the
>> ifup/ifdown-scripts to keep track of a second ip-address for an
>> interface?
>

> You do not need to change those scripts, you need to read them and
> learn how they work. Adding additional IPV4 addresses to an interface
> is very easy to do with these scripts, and an LFS builder should be
> able to read and understand the scripts involved (it is, after all,
> "from scratch", not "from helpers" <G>).

Not so sure about this Kevin - not everyone is a bash scripting expert,
and there's some pretty nasty script-fu in there.  I took a look (since
I was attempting to help this person on IRC), and *I* didn't exactly see
an easy way to configure this - but I must admit, I didn't look real
closely.  I figured someone on list who was more familiar with the new
bootscript structure could easily answer this question, since it's not
exactly a FAQ or anything.

-J-