binutils first pass make install error

kaladen kaladen at cox.net
Mon Jan 3 19:30:16 PST 2005

A Womack wrote:

> lfs at 1[binutils-build]$ make install
> /bin/sh ../binutils-2.15.91.0.2/mkinstalldirs
> /tools /tools mkdir -p -- /tools /tools
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/tools':
> Permission denied mkdir: cannot create directory
> `/tools': Permission denied make: ***
> [installdirs] Error 1
>

> the section 4.3
>
> shows tools as
>
> $LFS/tools
>
> section 5.4.1
>
> shows tools as /tools in the prefix
>
> which /tools was not made prior and lfs user
> doesn't have permission to make files in the
> host root directory.
>
> What's up?  Error in the book?  Did I miss
> something?

You should have already created the $LFS/tools
directory and /tools symlinks as the root user.
You need to do this as root because the lfs user
does not (at least it should not) have write
permission to the root directory.  Once you have
created them you need to change thier ownership
to the lfs user then su - lfs as per the book.