LFS hangs after "Setting Hostname"

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Feb 28 13:52:12 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Roberto Perpuly wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can't seem to get my LFS to boot.  The kernel loads OK, the init
> script runs but stops after "Setting Hostname [OK]".  It seems that
> only the sysinit scripts are run, no run level 1, 2, or 3 scrips are
> run?
>
> Any ideas?

 I'm not running current LFS so I can't comment on what should run when,
but

(i) are there any more sysinit scripts after the host name is set ?  if
there are, it's the next of those.

(ii) if not, sounds as if the first script for run level 3 hangs.  Note
that the system does NOT run the level 1 scripts, then level 2, then
level 3 on a normal boot to level 3, it goes from the sysinit scripts to
rc3.

 Need to know what is in the hanging scrpt to track it down.  These
days, we mostly install the downloaded bootscripts, so there is much
less scope for error.  Maybe you had to edit, or add, something at the
end of the sysinit directory ?  I've seen some weird hangs on *obscure*
hardware, sometimes upgrading to a new kernel release (2.2->2.4,
2.4->2.6) breaks things.  If you can identify which script, but can't
identify the problem, attach the script.

Ken