[OT] Can we discuss about Kernel support USB storages device? Thanks.

Ken Fuchs kfuchs at winternet.com
Sun Feb 27 10:45:47 PST 2005

>On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:29:29 +0100, Paul wrote:
>
>> How can I connect my camera, my Palm Pilot and my Webcam to my PC without
>> using USB?  I'm just as confused about USB as Randy is, if not more, but
>> do we have another choice?

>Steven B wrote:

>No.  There is no other choice.  USB had to kill all potential competitors
>to secure its spot on the market and jealously guards it using patents and
>marketplace position.  Before there was USB there were other
>conceptualizations of a multi-device system.  One such idea used a scsi
>subsystem with various connectors available.  No need for an entirely new
>bus spec.

>USB was initially marketed as a bus to end all buses.  Soon everything
>would be usb.  The entire world would experience happiness and
>functionality never before dreamed because usb was going to solve all the
>hassles.

IEEE 1394 aka Firewire (TM)* is an excellent alternative to USB, but you
would need a camera, palm pilot and webcam with an IEEE 1394/Firewire
interface.

One huge advantage of Firewire over USB is USB can support only one bus
master (your PC) and Firewire can support multiple bus masters
concurrently.

A second advantage of Firewire is its software/bus protocol has less
overhead than USB.  This overhead difference is so great that the old
400 MB/sec Firewire speed is actually faster in real data throughput
than USB 2.0's new 480 MB/sec. speed.

Firewire now has a 800 MB/sec. speed and always had multiple masters so
if you have a _choice_, Firewire (IEEE 1394) is the way to go.

The only compelling reason to use USB is if your device is available
only with a USB interface; not available in Firewire/1394, SCSI, PS/2,
etc.

Steven B may have been refering to Firewire/1394 when he refered to "a
SCSI subsystem", since SCSI commands can be encapsulated in the Firewire
protocol plus Firewire supports multiple masters like SCSI as well.

* Apple owns the Firewire (TM) name.  To avoid paying Apple, third
  parties will call the 1394/Firewire devices as "IEEE 1394" or simply
  1394 optionally followed by letter to designate the version of the
  1394 standard their product supports.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>