login.defs

Paul someone at nowhere.org
Sun Feb 27 09:10:56 PST 2005

Hi,

I've just finished building LFS 6.0 and have added an "ordinary" user and
the default profile.

Just as I did for LFS 5.0, I then wanted to edit login.defs so that the
ordinary user can log in without a password.  I am the only user of my PC
so it seems to me that entering the password is just a waste of time.
And I don't use shadow or PAM.

However, the login.defs file installed with LFS 6.0 no longer has the
(commented-out) NO_PASSWORD_CONSOLE line.  And when I add it anyway, I
ger an error message at log in: parameter not defined.

Is this a bug or a feature?  Can I patch login to let me log in without a
password as ordinary user?

When I wanted to build LFS 6.0, I installed Ubuntu as the host system
since none of my other Linux builds had kernel 2.6.  And, with Ubuntu, I
have a user password and I haven't tried to modify the login.defs file (I
have no idea what this might do in a Debian-like system).  But in Ubuntu
I can say "sudo su" and I become root without entering either my user
password or the root password!  I think that if I understood this I would
understand Linux security better.

Paul