LFS 6.0: Section 5.13 (GCC-3.4.1/Pass 2): "asm-generic/errno.h: No such file or directory"

Nitebirdz nitebirdz at sacredchaos.com
Fri Feb 25 19:04:54 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:12:24 -0600, William wrote:

> The book mentions that you will start with clean sources everytime unless
> told to not delete the source.

OK.  In that case I did it right.

> Have you checked to see if /tools/include/asm/errno.h even exists?

Yes, it does exist.  Here are its contents:

--------------------------------
#ifndef _I386_ERRNO_H
#define _I386_ERRNO_H

#include <asm-generic/errno.h>

#endif
--------------------------------

Hmmm, that "<asm-generic/errno.h>" bothers me a little bit.  I see no such
"asm-generic" directory under my "/tools/include" directory at all.  I do
have it under "/tools/glibc-kernheaders" and, of course, also under
kernel's include directory.  Now, according to the instructions in page 66
this is correct:

mkdir /tools/glibc-kernheaders
cp -HR include/asm /tools/glibc-kernheaders
cp -R include/asm-generic /tools/glibc-kernheaders

> Did you copy the headers from the linux-libc-headers package correctly?
> And did you install the headers from the kernel correctly?

I ran the following two commands as recommended in page 64 of the book:

cp -R include/asm-i386 /tools/include/asm
cp -R include/linux /tools/include

They both appeared to work just fine, and all header files appear to be
available in those two locations.  As for the kernel headers, see my notes
above these lines.

> As far as the glibc package, use the one in the book and if ya not sure if
> you have the right one, get it from ftp.lfs-matrix.de.

The one I downloaded from the location I referred to in the original post
is "glibc-2.3.4-20040701.tar.bz2", which also happens to be the very same
version referred to in the book (see page 67, for example).  My
environment doesn't appear to contain anything that could cause this sort
of problem either as far as I can see:

$ printenv
TERM=screen
LC_ALL=POSIX