Can we discuss about Kernel support USB storages device? Thanks.

Bluesheet bluesheet at doramail.com
Fri Feb 25 17:37:40 PST 2005

Dear all,
I have a problem about kernel support USB storages, Can we discuss in here?
Thanks.

My discussion subject is kernel option on USB storages.
I want to add USB storages on my kernel 2.4.x, but I have a problem after I
build different version of kernel.
I built 2.4.26, it can support USB storages but when I built kernel 2.4.24,
it can't. Both setting are the same, so I want to know the actual kernel
setting needed for USB storages. I know that USB storages need SCSI module
and USB mass storage module, so I already add this two option in kernel
setting with modules, the following is the snapshot of SCSI and USB setting.

 <*> SCSI support
--- SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
<M>   SCSI disk support
(40) Maximum number of SCSI disks that can be loaded as modules
<M>   SCSI tape support
< >   SCSI OnStream SC-x0 tape support
<M>   SCSI CD-ROM support
[ ]     Enable vendor-specific extensions (for SCSI CDROM)
(2) Maximum number of CDROM devices that can be loaded as modules
< >   SCSI generic support
--- Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
[*]   Enable extra checks in new queueing code
[*]   Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device
[*]   Verbose SCSI error reporting (kernel size +=12K)
[ ]   SCSI logging facility
SCSI low-level drivers  --->
 <M> Support for USB
[ ]   USB verbose debug messages
--- Miscellaneous USB options
[*]   Preliminary USB device filesystem
[ ]   Enforce USB bandwidth allocation (EXPERIMENTAL)
--- USB Host Controller Drivers
<M>   EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support (EXPERIMENTAL)
<M>   UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA, ...) support
<M>   UHCI Alternate Driver (JE) support
<M>   OHCI (Compaq, iMacs, OPTi, SiS, ALi, ...) support
< >   SL811HS Alternate (x86, StrongARM, isosynchronous mode)
< >   SL811HS (x86, StrongARM) support, old driver
--- USB Device Class drivers
< >   USB Audio support
< >   USB Bluetooth support (EXPERIMENTAL)
< >   USB MIDI support
<M>   USB Mass Storage support
[ ]     USB Mass Storage verbose debug
[ ]     Datafab MDCFE-B Compact Flash Reader support
[ ]     Freecom USB/ATAPI Bridge support

[ ]     ISD-200 USB/ATA Bridge support
[ ]     Microtech CompactFlash/SmartMedia support
[ ]     HP CD-Writer 82xx support
[ ]     SanDisk SDDR-09 (and other SmartMedia) support
[ ]     SanDisk SDDR-55 SmartMedia support
[ ]     Lexar Jumpshot Compact Flash Reader
< >   USB Modem (CDC ACM) support

During building the kernel, I found there have two situation failed in using
USB drive/USB flash disk.
1/ Plug-in the USB drive/USB flash disk, the system didn't detect the
device, so using "lsmod", didn't load usb-storage module.
2/ Plug-in the USB drive/USB flash disk, the system can detect the device,
using "lsmod", usb-storage loaded into system, but when I mount the usb
device, it occure " mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device".

and loaded modules when the system being started.
soundcore               5860     0  (autoclean)
serial                      52004   0  (autoclean)
8139too                 17224    1
mii                         3700     0  [8139too]
crc32                     3592      0  [8139too]
keybdev                 2944      0  (unused)
mousedev              5556      1
hid                        24676    0  (unused)
input                     5312      0  [keybdev mousedev hid]
usb-uhci                26348     0  (unused)
ehci-hcd                20200     0  (unused)
usbcore                 76288     1  [hid usb-uhci ehci-hcd]
ext3                      72964     2
jbd                       59288     2  [ext3]

Dear all, I want to learn more about kernel. can anyone give me some
suggestions or we can discuss this issue. Thanks.
Regards.