2.6.2 kernal a must?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 23 10:58:11 PST 2005

jetfirespam wrote:

> Now, the LFS book says the 2.6.2 kernel is required,
> whereas I seem to be running 2.4.x. Unfortunately, I'm
> not exactly clear on what the book wants me to do
> about this.

The book says it's required, and it is required.

> Am I to compile and install a new kernel at this exact
> point, or does it not become necessary until Chapter
> 8, where the instructions for such a procedure are
> located? Because the emphasis seems to be on having
> gcc be version 3.x.x rather than having the newer
> kernel.

Yes, the book is telling you that your host must be running a 2.6.2+
kernel or you will not be able to build LFS 6.0. You must achieve that
in whatever fashion you wish: upgrade the host's kernel (which can be
very tricky), upgrade the host to a newer distro that includes a newer
kernel, build LFS using the LFS live CD, etc. The choice is yours, the
book is not going to mandate how you achieve that upgrade.

The instructions in chapter 8 are _not_ instructions on how to upgrade
your host to a newer kernel, they are instructions on how to build a
kernel for your newly-built LFS. These are very different operations.