File System Issues during bootup

Steve Crosby fost at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 16:13:31 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in
news:200502211645.59725.gerard at linuxfromscratch.org:

> On February 21, 2005 04:38 pm, Steve Crosby wrote:
>> If I get some time today I'll scribble up a "fix" process for this
>> issue - it's not hard to do.
>
> That would be greatly appreciated too. It might even be preferable to
> put such a fix right into the LFS book. It's kind of a serious show
> stopper.

Took less time than I thought.

=============

When creating the LFS partition, you may need to make some slight
adjustments if your host system uses certain filesystem features that
won't be supported by LFS later on in the build process. To check if this
is the case, run the following command:

    	tune2fs -l /dev/<yourLFSpartition> | grep features

you should see output similar to the following:

    	Filesystem features:      filetype sparse_super

The only LFS supported Filesystem features are (from the e2fsprogs 1.36
tune2fs man page):

    	dir_index
    	filetype
    	has_journal
    	sparse_super

If you have any other features listed, you'll need to remove them from
your new LFS partition before you proceed. This is done using the
following command:

tune2fs -O ^<feature1>,^<feature2> /dev/<yourLFSpartition>

You may also need to run fsck on the partition you just modified to make
the changes effective - tune2fs will let you know if thats the case.

Some common features added by host systems that are not supported are:

    	ext_attr
    	resize_inode
    	large_file

To remove these, assuming your LFS partition is on /dev/hdb1

    	tune2fs -O ^ext_attr,^resize_inode,^large_file /dev/hdb1

Feel free to mangle that blurb into something useful - probably best
placed in the creating your LFS partition section if it goes directly
into the book. Note that this is *untested* by me, I don't have a borked
e2fsprogs to create such partitions with - someone should confirm the
documented command syntax for removing the features works as advertised
by the man pages.

-- -
Steve Crosby