File System Issues during bootup

Steve Crosby fost at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 15:38:04 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in
news:200502211302.24008.gerard at linuxfromscratch.org:

> On February 21, 2005 12:53 pm, Phoe6 wrote:
>> I guess the lfs online should be updated to use e2fsprogs out,
>> version 1.36 instead of 1.35 if people are using Fedora Core 3 as the
>> host system.
>
> The Development version of LFS already uses e2fsprogs-1.36
> (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/)
>
> Fedora Core 3 presented us with a number of issues lately. Either an
> errata page is in order or simply an updated FAQ.

The actual problem is that FC3 provides an e2fsprogs that is patched to
include additional capbilities, and uses those capabilities by default when
creating partitions. The stock e2fs distribution we use does not understand
those options, and therefore barfs.

If I get some time today I'll scribble up a "fix" process for this issue -
it's not hard to do.

-- -
Steve Crosby