Kernel Panic!

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 21 13:28:46 PST 2005

On February 21, 2005 02:18 pm, Joel Miller wrote:
> > Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block
> > (3,69)
>
> Two guesses:
> 1) Udev is not starting up properly when your system boots and

This error happens before the root filesystem is even mounted. It means the
kernel doesn't know how to access the specified device which usually
indicates a missing driver in the kernel, the wrong driver, or compiled as a
module rather than static.

> 2) You are using serial ata harddrives and don't know that newer
> versions of the kernel give Serial ATA devices SCSI device nodes (i.e.
> /dev/sda5). I know this caught me when I first set up LFS.

That's good to keep in mind. I didn't know that either.

--
Gerard Beekmans