Kernel Panic!

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Mon Feb 21 13:18:10 PST 2005

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> I just build an LFS 6.0 system (with some newer packages than needed) and when
> I finally go to boot up, I get this:
> VFS: Cannot open root device 'hdb5' or unknown block (3,69)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option'
> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block
> (3,69)
<snip>

Two guesses:
1) Udev is not starting up properly when your system boots and
consequently you have no device nodes in /dev. There is a file that
begins with a '.' that if left in the /dev folder will prevent udev from
2) You are using serial ata harddrives and don't know that newer
versions of the kernel give Serial ATA devices SCSI device nodes (i.e.
/dev/sda5). I know this caught me when I first set up LFS.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182