about LFS license problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 21 07:29:34 PST 2005

On February 21, 2005 03:02 am, Bluesheet wrote:
> 1/ If I using 100% LFS to be my linux system of my product, do I need LFS
> license problem to sell my product?

If you use LFS to create your own product the least you should do is give this
project credit for it.

> 3/ If I following the LFS book to build but didn't use the LFS packages,
> that I download all the source from GNU and I make some scripts by myself,
> do I need LFS license to sell my product?

The packages we use are almost all GNU packages. Most all packages are GPL
licensed and not licensed by LFS itself. You will need to check every
individual package's license to see what they require of you.

> 4/ If I using 100% LFS packages to build my linux system, but I erase all
> the name of "LFS" and "linuxfromscratch.org" inside the code and source, do
> I need LFS license to sell my product?

LFS' BSD license only applies to the book and the methodology we employ to
build a system. If you use our book to build your system, you should mention
this somewhere. It is the right and honorable thing to do, after all.

The actual software is from their respective owners. You can't take Glibc and
remove its GPL license for example, unless you modify it as your own version
of Glibc. Again check the licenses to see how this work. Not every package is
the same.

--
Gerard Beekmans