Kernel Panic!

Steven Pasternak stevenp500 at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 21 05:28:36 PST 2005

I just build an LFS 6.0 system (with some newer packages than needed) and when
I finally go to boot up, I get this:
VFS: Cannot open root device 'hdb5' or unknown block (3,69)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option'
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block
(3,69)

The root IS /dev/hdb5! The fstab looks like:
# Begin /etc/fstab

# file system  mount-point  type   options         dump  fsck
#                                                        order

/dev/hdb5      /            ext3   defaults        0     0
/dev/hdb1      swap         swap   pri=1           0     0
proc           /proc        proc   defaults        0     0
sysfs          /sys         sysfs  defaults        0     0
devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
shm            /dev/shm     tmpfs  defaults        0     0
/dev/hdc       /media/cdrecorder iso9660 ro,exec,users 0     0
/dev/hdd       /media/dvd   iso9660 ro,exec,users  0     0
/dev/fd0       /media/floppy ext2,vfat users       0     0
# End /etc/fstab

And /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like:
# Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst

# By default boot the first menu entry.
default 0

# Allow 30 seconds before booting the default.
timeout 30

# Use prettier colors.
color blue/black light-blue/black

# The first entry is for LFS.
title Crystal
root (hd1,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-crystal root=/dev/hdb5
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-crystal.img

There is an initrd entry because I thought that was it and downloaded mkinitrd
(and deps + their patches) and finally made that with no luck. Please help!
-Steven